Top 3 Online Real Estate Schools in Colorado
The Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) is the government agency that establishes all the rules and regulations regarding real estate for Colorado. They are the ones who determine what you will need to do in order to work as a real estate agent (and they didn’t make it easy). Colorado’s #1 priority is to protect the consumer. As a result, they hold real estate professionals to the highest standards and place among the highest requirements for obtaining a Broker license compared to other states.
To get licensed, you will have to complete 168 hours of qualifying education and pass the Broker exam. No matter which school you go to get the 168 hours, they will all contain the same following topics:
- Law and Practice (48 hours) – This is an introductory course that covers common real estate terminology, concepts, and knowledge as well as national laws that are shared by a majority of states
- Contracts and Regulations (48 hours) – This goes over the types of Colorado Statutory Relationships, Brokerage Relationship Agreements, Sales Contracts, and other considerations in contracting.
- Record Keeping and Trust Accounts (8 hours) – This course shows students how to properly keep records as required by law as well as manage other people’s funds
- Current Legal Issues (8 hours) – This topic deals with current issues going on in the real estate industry and changes periodically as important legal issues and developments arise.
- Closings (24 hours) – This topic is meant to train people with the basic skills needed to properly close a real estate transaction, including all of the responsibilities after closing.
- Practice Applications (32 hours) – This course is meant to give new agents a working knowledge of practical applications so that they have a baseline level of competency prior to entering the real estate industry.
Your success at being licensed will largely depend on which school you choose. That’s why it is important to weigh the pros and cons to find the best one that works with your learning style. Here are the 5 best real estate schools that will help you become a Colorado real estate agent.
Pro Tip: Most schools have a promotion running, so be sure to check their website for the promo code.
Best Online Program
Real Estate Express currently holds the #1 market share when it comes to the real estate education industry. Part of the reason for that is they have developed their program to accommodate the unique needs of every individual. The only thing this online school has yet to offer is classroom training.
Real Estate Express gives you 4 packages to choose from:
- The Basics – 168-hour online program (text-based)
- Exam Preparation – This includes The Basics package as well as 1,000+ national/state online practice test questions and a money-back guarantee. (If you don’t pass the Broker exam, you will get 100% full refund)
- Exam Preparation Plus – This includes the Exam Preparation package plus gives you access to talk to certified real estate instructors via live video webinars. They are at scheduled times, usually three times per day, Monday through Friday.
- Ultimate Learning – You get all of the above plus hardcopy books to go along with the 168-hour online program. You also get access to hundreds of video courses, job aids, discussion forum, etc… that is additional training to use after you get licensed.
Best Live Courses
Kaplan Real Estate is arguably the biggest name in the education industry. This billion-dollar company has over 12,000 employees with programs in over 100 countries. So, they may know a thing or two about how to teach a course. While they do offer an online correspondence course, what really sets them apart is their live classes. They have them available in both a webinar format that you can take from home as well as a physical classroom that you sit in. These live courses give you the maximum amount of interactive engagement and sharpen your study skills.
Here are the 4 different types of formats available:
- Home Study – This is where they mail you textbooks, and you study independently by reading the book and answering test questions. You get 6 months to complete the program.
- OnDemand – You get access to recorded videos of the course, so you can watch (and re-watch) it at any time. There will be multiple-choice test questions after each section.
- Live Online – This format allows you to attend a live class but from the comfort of your home (or anywhere). You have to login at the scheduled date and times, and you can interact with the instructor.
- Live Class – This is your traditional classroom setting, where you drive to class and listen to the instructor teach the lesson.
- Career Launcher (optional) – You can add this on to any of the programs above for an extra $200. This includes an intense 8-hour online course that shows you how to get your real estate business going after you get licensed. You will have access to a professional real estate coach for the first 8 weeks to help you get going.
Regardless of which route you choose, you will get access to their amazing Interactive Study Group. These are live video webinars where you can join a lively discussion on a range of topics with instructors or your fellow peers. It’s like having a virtual study group where you can ask all your questions.
All Kaplan Real Estate programs also include their national and state QBank exam prep. The QBank is a comprehensive test engine that simulates what you’ll see on the actual exam. This powerful tool will drill you with customized questions until you are fully prepared to tackle the test.
Best OnDemand Program
Colorado Real Estate School is a small, homegrown school in Colorado. It was founded by fellow real estate professional Jon Farnlof, who has over thirty years of instructor experience. Jon felt there was a lack of innovation in real estate education, so he wanted to change that by leveraging technology to provide the best learning environment possible.
Colorado Real Estate School offers 3 convenient packages:
- Standard – 168-hour on-demand video course plus thousands of online practice tests for the Broker exam
- Enhanced – The includes the Standard package, and you get 2 additional months to complete the 168-hour courses and a Broker exam diagnostic test to assess your readiness
- Deluxe – This includes all of the above plus an additional 2-month extension (10 total months to complete the program). You can also call in to talk to the instructor, rather than being limited to email support only. The biggest add-on is the Exam Cram Live webinar, which is held once a month. An instructor will guide you through the Broker exam and review key areas of the national and state portions of the exam. If you pass the Broker exam on your first try and within 4 months of signing up, they will reward you by reimbursing you for the state exam fee ($44.95).
OnCourse Learning is a rising star in the space of real estate education, but that’s not because of their size. They are actually a relatively large school with programs in all 50 states. It is because they have been aggressively enhancing their courses with engaging content and top-notch instructors.
They don’t mess around with a bunch of marketing gimmicks or bells and whistles. They focus on delivering what you need in the best way possible.
OnCourse Learning offers 2 packages to obtain the Colorado Broker license that breakdowns like this:
- Gold Solution – 168-hour online program (text-based) with over 1,000 national practice test questions.
- Platinum Solution – You get the Gold Solution plus additional Broker exam study materials and Colorado-specific practice test questions