Top 3 Online Real Estate Schools in Colorado
The Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) is the government agency that establishes all the rules and regulations regarding real estate for Colorado. They are the ones who determine what you will need to do in order to work as a real estate agent (and they didn’t make it easy). Colorado’s #1 priority is to protect the consumer. As a result, they hold real estate professionals to the highest standards and place among the highest requirements for obtaining a Broker license compared to other states.
To get licensed, you will have to complete 168 hours of qualifying education and pass the Broker exam. No matter which school you go to get the 168 hours, they will all contain the same following topics:
- Law and Practice (48 hours) – This is an introductory course that covers common real estate terminology, concepts, and knowledge as well as national laws that are shared by a majority of states
- Contracts and Regulations (48 hours) – This goes over the types of Colorado Statutory Relationships, Brokerage Relationship Agreements, Sales Contracts, and other considerations in contracting.
- Record Keeping and Trust Accounts (8 hours) – This course shows students how to properly keep records as required by law as well as manage other people’s funds
- Current Legal Issues (8 hours) – This topic deals with current issues going on in the real estate industry and changes periodically as important legal issues and developments arise.
- Closings (24 hours) – This topic is meant to train people with the basic skills needed to properly close a real estate transaction, including all of the responsibilities after closing.
- Practice Applications (32 hours) – This course is meant to give new agents a working knowledge of practical applications so that they have a baseline level of competency prior to entering the real estate industry.
Your success at being licensed will largely depend on which school you choose. That’s why it is important to weigh the pros and cons to find the best one that works with your learning style. Here are the 3 best real estate schools that will help you become a Colorado real estate agent.
Perfect for Knowledge Seekers
The CE Shop is a large online school with programs in all 50 states. However, they are based in Greenwood Village, Colorado, so you can rest assured that they know real estate education in Colorado better than anyone.
The CE Shop is 100% online-only, so they don’t have any physical materials to study with, such as hardcopy books. However, what really sets them apart from other schools is their rigorous format. They incorporate real-life scenarios and a variety of interactive exercises throughout the course to make learning more engaging, thereby helping you retain the information better.
Make no mistake: there are no shortcuts with The CE Shop program. You will be taught to master the material. On the one hand, you will know the material like the back of your hand and should be able to pass the exam with flying colors. On the other hand, it may take you longer to finish studying.
Perfect for Learning Interactively
Kaplan Real Estate is arguably the biggest name in the education industry. This billion-dollar company has over 12,000 employees with programs in over 100 countries. So, they may know a thing or two about how to teach a course. While they do offer an online correspondence course, what really sets them apart is their live classes. They have them available in both a webinar format that you can take from home as well as a physical classroom that you sit in. These live courses give you the maximum amount of interactive engagement and sharpen your study skills.
Here are the 4 different types of formats available:
- Home Study – This is where they mail you textbooks, and you study independently by reading the book and answering test questions. You get 6 months to complete the program.
- OnDemand – You get access to recorded videos of the course, so you can watch (and re-watch) it at any time. There will be multiple-choice test questions after each section.
- Live Online – This format allows you to attend a live class but from the comfort of your home (or anywhere). You have to login at the scheduled date and times, and you can interact with the instructor.
- Live Class – This is your traditional classroom setting, where you drive to class and listen to the instructor teach the lesson.
- Career Launcher (optional) – You can add this on to any of the programs above for an extra $200. This includes an intense 8-hour online course that shows you how to get your real estate business going after you get licensed. You will have access to a professional real estate coach for the first 8 weeks to help you get going.
Regardless of which route you choose, you will get access to their amazing Interactive Study Group. These are live video webinars where you can join a lively discussion on a range of topics with instructors or your fellow peers. It’s like having a virtual study group where you can ask all your questions.
All Kaplan Real Estate programs also include their national and state QBank exam prep. The QBank is a comprehensive test engine that simulates what you’ll see on the actual exam. This powerful tool will drill you with customized questions until you are fully prepared to tackle the test.
Best School with Options
Real Estate Express currently has the #1 market share when it comes to the real estate education industry. While they don’t do anything particularly great, they do offer pretty much every option you could want and gives you the flexibility to create your own custom program.
So, if you want to add on hardcopy books, you can get that added to your package as an option or pick the Ultimate Learning package, which already has it included. Or, if you feel like you want to be able to ask an instructor questions on the spot, you can go with a package that includes the “Instructor Q&A”.
The only thing that Real Estate Express doesn’t offer is actual live courses like in a webinar or classroom setting. You read the course material online like a book and then answer multiple-choice questions. Some people may find this type of format challenging to stay motivated. However, if you like to learn independently, this will be a great option for you.
Best Small School Program
Colorado Real Estate School is a small, homegrown school in Colorado. It was founded by fellow real estate professional Jon Farnlof, who has over thirty years of instructor experience. Jon felt there was a lack of innovation in real estate education, so he wanted to change that by leveraging technology to provide the best learning environment possible.
Colorado Real Estate School offers 3 convenient packages:
- Standard – 168-hour on-demand video course plus thousands of online practice tests for the Broker exam
- Enhanced – The includes the Standard package, and you get 2 additional months to complete the 168-hour courses and a Broker exam diagnostic test to assess your readiness
- Deluxe – This includes all of the above plus an additional 2-month extension (10 total months to complete the program). You can also call in to talk to the instructor, rather than being limited to email support only. The biggest add-on is the Exam Cram Live webinar, which is held once a month. An instructor will guide you through the Broker exam and review key areas of the national and state portions of the exam. If you pass the Broker exam on your first try and within 4 months of signing up, they will reward you by reimbursing you for the state exam fee ($44.95).
Best Program for Busy People
OnCourse Learning is a rising star in the space of real estate education, but that’s not because of their size. They are actually a relatively large school with programs in all 50 states. It is because they have been aggressively enhancing their courses with engaging content and top-notch instructors.
They don’t mess around with a bunch of marketing gimmicks or bells and whistles. They focus on delivering what you need in the best way possible.
OnCourse Learning offers 2 packages to obtain the Colorado Broker license that breakdowns like this:
- Gold Solution – 168-hour online program (text-based) with over 1,000 national practice test questions.
- Platinum Solution – You get the Gold Solution plus additional Broker exam study materials and Colorado-specific practice test questions